Thursday, January 16, 2020

Volund’s Dazzling, One-Of-A-Kind, Jewelry Draws From Founder Nick Koss’s European Ancestry And A Fascination With Fables And Folklore


“I see myself as a weaver of dreams as much as a jewelry designer,” says Nick Koss, the Russian-born founder of the Canadian jewelry  house Volund. “I’ve  always  loved  ancient  folklore: the sagas of the Nordic people, the myths of the Mesopotamians, the accounts of Herodotus. I want to capture the spirit of these great stories and pass them on.” local jewelers Canada
 It’s this approach that gives his designs a rare, almost mythic quality. His creations include a magnificent ring made from heart-shaped Alexandrite—a color-changing gem—designed to reflect the Norse legend of a deer who gave his heart to warm the earth. Elsewhere, lions and snakes are encrusted with stones and glitter on cufflinks, bracelets, and rings. high end jewelry Canada
A pair of dazzling Lion earrings, which won the 2016 Award of Excellence in Canadian Jeweller magazine, feature a map of the cosmos in diamonds and pearls, and could almost be treasure from a lost civilization. “The idea of timelessness fascinates me,” says Nick. “I’ve always been interested in things that have stayed beautiful for centuries, and I cherish the idea that my jewelry will be worn hundreds of years from now.” designer jewelry Canada
Nick isn’t just inspired by great stories. He has one of his own. His great-grandfather was a jeweler to the Imperial Court of Russia. “I remember my grandmother showing me a set of silver cups engraved with the crest of the Romanovs,” he says. “That made a great impression on me. There has always been a strong artistic streak running through my family.”
 He was born in Siberia to parents from Sweden and Finland. “When I was a child, they would fly us to all the major museums across Europe,” he says. “I quickly learned to love the idea of discovery. It’s from these roots that Volund sprung up, many years later.”
After emigrating to best jewelry designer Canada, Nick worked in finance before being drawn to jewelry. “My wife persuaded me to take a silversmithing course with her,” he says. “I loved it. I realized that life is too short not to be doing the things you’re passionate about full time.”
Volund was founded in 2012 to create timeless treasure using ancient techniques—the antithesis of modern, mass-produced jewelry. Based in Vancouver, Nick’s team creates fewer than 20 pieces a year. Commissions take months to complete and are personally delivered to clients. “I see Volund as a jewelry workshop of old, rather than a 21st-century enterprise,” Nick says. “I believe if you want to create something truly luxurious, you need to take the time.” mens jewelry Canada
A hallmark of the brand is that each piece contains a secret or code for the wearer to unlock. The Lioness ring, for example, has a diamond-studded door on the inside that can be opened to allow the wearer to look out of the lioness’s eyes. “It’s like looking into the palace of Alhambra,” smiles Nick. “It gives you a tremendous feeling of power, like you are taking on the energy of the ring.”
Volund’s clients have included European nobility and the royal courts of the Middle East, but there are no plans to expand. “It’s more interesting to stay small,” he adds. “Our jewelry isn’t for everyone, it’s for a select few.” best jeweler in Canada

Instead, Nick is focused on the creative process, harnessing the magic and power of dreams to create fabulous, compelling jewelry. “When I’m inspired, it’s like a lightning bolt from above,” he says. “I honestly feel that I am not the owner of the Volund universe; I just get the privilege of looking into it from time to time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment